Tuesday, February 6, 2018

One Little Word: 2018

Since 2012, I have participated in Ali Edwards' One Little Word. Every year, I choose a guiding word relating to things I hope to achieve in the following year. The concept is not new, and there are several people that employ this idea of a focus word for their year. Ali Edwards' project is specifically centered around the One Little Word creative workshop which goes deeper than just having a focus word. If you haven't heard of it, I highly suggest checking it out.
Image created by my friend Alyssa Bones

This year my word is MAKE. Some years, I choose my word. Sometimes, my word chooses me. Over a few weeks I kept a running list of anything and everything I might want to do, experience, or achieve in 2018. From there, I looked for common themes among those items.

One of the themes that really stood out was making and creating. Seeing that was not in the least surprising. I think I have touched on this before but with each pregnancy it feels like all of my creativity goes out the window. Then the following year I feel overwhelmed with all the ideas I have. In December when it came down to settling on either create or make I ultimately picked MAKE because of its definitions of "forming something by putting parts together" and "alter something so that it forms or constitutes something else." I felt that was a better representation of my goals for this year.

In the past, I have been fairly quiet when it comes to all that I am doing with my word. This year, my list includes a lot of action items. While I may not share what the workshop prompt is each month, I do plan on sharing some of my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment