Thursday, April 13, 2017

Cranberry Orange Wheat Scones

I have been on a baking kick lately. I don't know what it is but I really enjoy the measuring and mixing of all the different ingredients. The science nerd in me even likes doing the calculations and adjustments for altitude. I also like experimenting with different flavors and trying to making our favorite sugary treats into something more healthy.

This past weekend, I decided to take on scones! While the flavor combination is pretty standard, Cranberry and Orange, I did look for ways to tweak an old recipe so that they are a bit healthier. For me, that meant adding in whole wheat flour, using greek yogurt, and switching the sweetener. Usually, I would try to swap the butter out for something else but cold butter is essential in creating the little pockets of air that makes a scone what it is.

Next up is the fruit going in these scones. It isn't exactly cranberry weather in these parts, despite the frigid temperatures and snow on the ground, so instead of fresh cranberries which would be best, I used some I had in the freezer. A lot of people like chopping their cranberries up, I keep mine whole. I find they do not affect even baking and I love the burst of tart cranberry juice. Lastly, do not skip on the orange zest here. It is where most of your orange flavor is going to come from.

All that is left to do is mix it all up, bake it and enjoy. All three of us enjoyed these for breakfast. They aren't as sweet as a typical scone but if that is something you are looking for, you could easily sprinkle the top with sugar or make an orange and confectioners sugar glaze to drizzle over top.

Cranberry Orange Wheat Scones
ingredients
  • 1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 c all purpose flour
  • 1/4 c brown sugar
  • 1 Tbs orange zest
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 6 Tbs chilled butter
  • 1 c fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1 c greek yogurt
  • 1 Tbs fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1 egg
directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400*F
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder and baking soda. 
  3. Use a pastry blender (or the two knives method) to cut the butter into pea sized pieces. Combine with flour mixture. 
  4. Stir in cranberries. Optional: You can roughly chop up the cranberries before adding.
  5. In separate small bowl, stir together the yogurt, orange juice, and egg, then add to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. 
  6. Turn dough out onto a work surface. "Knead" 3 or 4 times. This may be difficult as the dough will be crumbly. 
  7. Form into a circle roughly 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 10-12 wedges. 
  8. Transfer onto a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 13-15 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment